JCM | Policy Solutions
0800 4701881 Weekdays 8.30am-6pm
Saturday 9am-1pm

Make A Complaint

If you want to complain about anything we have done or failed to do in connection with any aspect of our services, advice, products arranged or administration, please contact us in writing, over the telephone or via email. You can ask someone to do this for you, but we will have to obtain evidence that they are authorised to act on your behalf and they are who they say they are.

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Their website address is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk